MCN Celebrated Historic Grand Opening of Newly-Renovated 1878 Creek Nation Council House
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Nov. 20, 2018
Muscogee (Creek) Nation Celebrated Historic Grand Opening of Newly-Renovated 1878 Creek Nation
OKMULGEE, Okla. – Nov. 17, 2018 was a momentous day for the Muscogee (Creek) Nation, as citizens joined
MCN Principal Chief James R. Floyd, Second Chief Louis Hicks, National Council representatives and other
dignitaries for the Grand Opening ceremony of the newly-renovated 1878 Creek Nation Council House in
Downtown Okmulgee, Okla.
The MCN Cultural Center & Archives Department held a dedication ceremony and prayer following the
Muscogee (Creek) National Council conducting its Regular Session meeting at the historic Council House.
Having the Regular Session meeting at the Council House was an opportunity to commemorate the tribal
business conducted there nearly 131 years ago for the Nation’s executive, judicial and legislative branches.
During the ceremony, Chief Floyd expressed gratification for the opportunity to take part in a significant
breakthrough in preserving the Mvskoke culture for years to come.
“This restoration, it’s for you, it’s for all of our citizens,” Floyd said. “Those who reside in other states or
throughout the world, when they come back to Okmulgee, they like to come back here. Now, they can come in
and they can see our history displayed and they can teach that to their children and grandchildren; and for
that, Second Chief and I are so grateful.”
The building renovations began in March 2017, following the Nation’s longstanding efforts to regain ownership
of its history, dating back to the forced removal of Muscogee people from their Southeastern homelands.
From losing possession of the Council House to the U.S. Department of Interior in 1906; then purchasing the
building and regaining ownership from the City of Okmulgee in 2010; to acquiring its collections back into
possession in 2013; the Nation has worked tirelessly to preserve the Mvskoke history.
Still standing today, the 1878 sand-stone structure has been restored to its original state through funding of an
MCNNC appropriation which covered 60 percent of renovation costs and the remaining 40 percent of funds
provided in Historic Tax Credits.
The completed Council House restoration not only exemplifies the resiliency of the Mvskoke people, but also
confirms that the Mvskoke culture and identity will never be forgotten.
MCN Cultural Center & Archives Department Director Veronica Pipestem encouraged attendees to walk
through each of the rooms and view the exhibits throughout.
The collections on display provides a glimpse into the lives of the Mvskoke people during the time period of
1865 to 1907.
“We hope that the story we have told in this place is one that is familiar to you,” Pipestem said. “We hope you
will find the names of relatives, tribal towns and other marks of identity that are familiar to you here. The
Council House is not only a historic site, but also a monument to Muscogee (Creek) culture, government and
sovereignty during a time of transition for the Mvskoke people.”
The Nation is pleased to share its story to the public, as the Council House is now permanently operating
Tuesday through Saturday 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. with the exception of tribal holidays.
The Creek Nation Council House is located at 100 W. 6th St. Okmulgee, OK 74447. For more information, the
MCN Cultural Center & Archives office at 918-549-2434.