MCN to hold grand opening of newly-renovated 1878 Creek Nation Council House on Nov. 17
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Muscogee (Creek) Nation to Hold Grand Opening of Newly-Renovated 1878 Creek Nation Council House on Nov. 17
WHAT: The Muscogee (Creek) Nation’s Cultural Center & Archives Department invites the public to attend the Grand Opening of the Creek Nation Council House in its original 1878 sandstone structure at the center of the historic Okmulgee town square in Okmulgee, Okla.
The Nation began the renovations in March 2017 with an appropriation from the Muscogee (Creek) National Council, which funded 60 percent of the renovation costs and the remaining 40 percent funded through Historic Tax Credits.
Dating back to forced removal of Muscogee people from their Southeastern homelands, the Nov. 17 Grand Opening will be a momentous day for the tribe as it continues to preserve the Mvskoke culture and acknowledge the strength of the Mvskoke people throughout history.
From losing possession of the Council House to the U.S. Department of Interior in 1906; then purchasing the building and regaining ownership from the City of Okmulgee in 2010; to acquiring its collections back into possession in 2013; the Nation is pleased to begin sharing its story as the Council House opens permanently, Tuesday through Saturday 10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m, to the public.
WHO: Muscogee (Creek) citizens, community members and tribal dignitaries will join MCN Principal Chief James R. Floyd and Second Chief Louis Hicks for the Grand Opening ceremony and dedication prayer.
After the dedication ceremony and prayer, those in attendance will have the opportunity to tour the Council House and view the exhibits displayed throughout.
WHEN: The day will begin with a historic meeting as the Council House will hold the Muscogee (Creek) National Council General Session at 10 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 17, directly followed by the Grand Opening celebration.
WHERE: The Creek Nation Council House is located at 100 W. 6th Street Okmulgee, OK 74447.
A livestream of the General Session meeting and Grand Opening ceremony will be available to view on MCN’s YouTube channel: The Muscogee (Creek) Nation Public Relations.
For more information, contact the MCN Cultural Center & Archives office at 918-549-2434.